Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Classes and Jumah

I'm taking 3 classes here, one about French grammar, oral expression and phonetics. All my teachers are humorous and encouraging to their students to improve our French. My grammar class is mostly doing exercises and going over them in class. Also if you arrive to class late you have to sing in front of the class. I was the first one to be late because I had to go to the clinic in the morning, but luckily she let it go that time. Oral expression is mostly discussion based and for the final we have to participate in a debate. Phonetics, my favorite class, is about the 'musique' of the the language. I'm learning so much about why words are pronounced the way they are and about the rhythmic nature of speaking French. If French phonetics is this cool Arabic phonetics must be awesome.

Books for my classes

I decided to go to the campus Jumah prayer and successfully asked the guy there which way the Qiblah, or direction toward Mecca, was in French. I arrived a half hour early so I worked on some homework. I met a woman from Djibouti and asked her if she could help me with my oral class homework, which was to ask locals the meaning of Québecois idiomatic expressions. At first there weren't that many people there for the prayer but by the time the khutbah started there were around 50 men and 10 women. It was incredible to hear the khutbah in Arabic first and then in French because I understood most of what was said. When the khateeb was speaking French it sounded cool to hear the intermittent Arabic phrases like "Sallalahu alaihi wa salam" (after the Prophet's name, peace be upon him) and "Subhana wa ta'ala" (after God's name, glorified be He).

1 comment:

  1. Its so cool to know many languages, good for you,mA,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete