Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Québec, le debut

As I was waiting at the gate for my flight during my 3 hour connection on the way to Québec, I was creeping on people that were coming to the sitting area, trying to see if they were Canadian or not. I had my eye on this one family for a while that looked like Québecois but when I got closer to them I realized they were Germans. I lost hope. But then a little later I saw more people coming and lo and behold they were speaking French! More and more French speakers were arriving as the time to board approached and I was getting really excited.

To Chicago
















When I was on the plane all I heard was French, and by the way when little children speak French it is so adorable "Mais Papa! Papa! C'est pas juste!!" When I got off the plane I stood in the customs line with many Canadians until it was my turn. I gave the customs man my passport and letter from the university I'd be studying at and he was really nice. I was kind of disappointed though because he was the first Québecois I spoke to and I spoke to him in English, pretending not to know French. I guess I was just nervous. So I got my luggage and went to get a taxi. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough money for the fare so I exchanged more U.S. dollars for Canadian ones. During the ride I saw all the signs of restaurants, streets, and billboards in French. It made me smile.

To Québec

















We got to the house around midnight and my host mom was really warm and welcoming. I met the other girls I'd be living with and they were really nice also. I was really tired and had to get up early to catch the bus to go to the university so I didn't have a chance to unpack much that night. Overall the traveling to Québec went really well!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this reflection had to be, " I was kind of disappointed though because he was the first Québecois I spoke to and I spoke to him in English, pretending not to know French. I guess I was just nervous." I can't wait until the end of this amazing trip when you're writing about how you spoke to the American customs man in French because that's what came to mind first ;) saisir toutes les occasions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, je saisirai tous ici!

    ReplyDelete